Back in September, when Hurricane Harvey devastated Houston, our class adopted a kindergarten class out of Lemm Elementary School. I know many of you and your children purchased items off of Mrs. Wood's wish list to help her rebuild her decimated classroom. It has been some months, but this week we received a thank you note and picture from LES and Mrs. Wood's class (as seen above). I am so proud to be a part of this class. Thank you for the way you are teaching your children empathy and to love others well. It is SUCH an honor to walk this journey with you! I am so thankful for such incredible families!
Our students already know this, but I will be out most of this week due to a family wedding out of town. I am leaving some fun and great review activities with a wonderful sub and I know they are going to be on their best behavior. We will jump right back in when I return next Monday and hit the ground running into the final weeks of the year. There will not be dojo in my absence, so be sure to check the agenda for any special announcements or notes home.
Please be sure to mark your calendar for the important dates below.
April 27th- NO Lit circles
April 30th- US Cafe Spirit Night
May 1st- Arts Night
May 2nd- Volunteer Appreciation
May 10th- K-2 Field Day
May 11th- 3-5 Field Day
May 18th and 19th- Teasley Musical
May 22nd and 23rd- Early Release
May 23rd- LAST DAY OF SECOND GRADE!!!!!
Below you will find an outline of the topics we will be covering in class this week. Please be sure to check and initial the agenda every night and that your child is reading each evening for thirty minutes. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :) Be sure to ask them if they have completed their weekly lit circle reading!
- Reading: (Review)Comparing and Contrasting Non-fiction and Fiction passages on the same topic
- Finding the main topic of a multi-paragraph text
- Identifying the Author's Purpose
- Daily 5 Centers
- Read to Self, Read to Someone, Word Work, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading
- Phonics Focus- Vowel Teams- ai vs. ay
- ai is used in the beginning and middle of a word
- ay is used at the end of a word
- Fluency- Reading like we talk, changing our voice when reading quotes
- Writing: (Review) Writing to Texts- responding with narratives, opinion, and informational
- Science: (Review)
- Life Cycles
- Math: (Review)
- Building Arrays- Connecting multiplication to repeated addition
- Addition and subtraction strategies within 1,000
- Until the end of the year we will continue to work on our math strategies withing 1,000. These strategies include: Open Number Line, Place Value, Expanded Form, and Base 10. We also use Partial Sums but this is an addition strategy only.
- Please do not teach your child the standard algorithm (Carrying and borrowing). This is not yet developmentally appropriate or conceptual for their understanding.
- One and Two Step Word Problems within 100
- Please continue to count your pennies, nickles, and dimes, and quarters and practice telling time to the nearest half and quarter hour.