Please be sure to mark your calendar for the important dates below.
April 2-April 6th- Spring Break
April 23-April 27th- Teacher Appreciation Week
April 30th- US Cafe Spirit Night
May 1st- Arts Night
May 2nd- Volunteer Appreciation
May 10th- K-2 Field Day
May 11th- 3-5 Field Day
May 18th and 19th- Teasley Musical
May 22nd and 23rd- Early Release
May 23rd- LAST DAY OF SECOND GRADE!!!!!
Below you will find an outline of the topics we will be covering in class this week. Please be sure to check and initial the agenda every night and that your child is reading each evening for thirty minutes. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :) Be sure to ask them if they have completed their weekly lit circle reading!
- Reading: Comparing and Contrasting Non-fiction and Fiction passages on the same topic
- Literature Circles
- Learned Words (review)
- Daily 5 Centers
- Read to Self, Read to Someone, Word Work, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading
- Phonics Focus- Consonant le- Count back three add consonant le
- Fluency- Reading like we talk, changing our voice when reading quotes
- Writing: Writing to Texts- responding with narratives, opinion, and informational
- Grammar Focus: Context Clues
- Social Studies:
- Goods and Services
- Building Arrays- Connecting multiplication to repeated addition
- Addition and subtraction strategies within 1,000
- Until the end of the year we will continue to work on our math strategies withing 1,000. These strategies include: Open Number Line, Place Value, Expanded Form, and Base 10. We also use Partial Sums but this is an addition strategy only.
- Please do not teach your child the standard algorithm (Carrying and borrowing). This is not yet developmentally appropriate or conceptual for their understanding.
- One and Two Step Word Problems within 100
- Number talks will focus on adding and subtracting groups of 10 and 100;
- Please continue to count your pennies, nickles, and dimes, and quarters and practice telling time to the nearest half and quarter hour.